An Office Relocation Checklist
Congratulations on the new business premises! Your company is developing and a change of location could mean great things for you and your staff. But moving can also be one of the most stressful times of your life. That’s why we’ve compiled a handy office relocation checklist which you can print and tick off items to ensure you have a stress-free move.
Organising Your Office Move: As Soon As You’ve Signed the Contract
- Research and enlist the services of an office interior designer and the appropriate tradespeople, so work can begin ASAP
- Obtain a floorplan
Starting to organise your move as soon as you’ve signed on the bottom line may seem slightly premature, but the reality of the situation is that you need to get your office interior designers, tradespeople and anyone who will be remodelling or repairing the property in through the door immediately. This will ensure all work is completed in a timely manner and you’ll be able to move in as soon as possible.
Here at Office Image, we offer a turnkey service, handling the entire project management and our own design specialists and tradespeople. Our aim is to make refurbishments as stress-free as possible for our clients, so they can carry on with day-to-day life with as little disruption as possible.
If this is something you are interested in, please give our Cardiff office a call on 02920 368585 to arrange an initial consultation.
A Month Before Moving
- Notify your landlord of your move (only for those currently renting)
- Notify your insurance provider of your change of address
- Plan the furniture arrangement with your designer
- Research and purchase any new furniture or technology required with your designer’s help
- Research and book the services of a respected commercial removals firm
- Ensure office refurbishment plans fit with current health and safety requirements
- Notify internet, telephone and other utilities providers of your change of address
- Notify the Post Office of your change of address and where to forward mail
- Update your employees and provide them with the new premises’ address
- Create an inventory
- Notify all clients and customers of the relocation
A Week Before Moving
- Arrange any special moving requirements, such as parking permits or notifying other businesses in the new building
- Label all personal equipment with name stickers
- Remind all customers of the change of address
- Begin packing items you don’t use on a daily basis
- Sell, donate or dispose of any unwanted items
- Arrange for all electrical equipment to be PAT tested
The Day Before Moving
- Finish packing
- Back up all electronic data
- Confirm moving times and addresses with the removals firm
- Hold a staff meeting to run through plans for moving day
On Moving Day
- Ensure everything is packed and you haven’t left anything behind
- Check all windows and doors are locked
- Change the security alarm code and notify either the new owner or landlord
- Clean the old office once empty
Once all of the above has been completed you can move into your new business premises, unpack items and begin to settle in. As you will have notified utility providers, internet, phone and other essentials should be set up the same day so that work can continue as normal as soon as possible.